Want to Join Us?
Click here for more details
Want to Help Us?
We are always looking for more active members to hep on work parties or other activities.
Let us know what you are interested in
Want to Make Things Happen?
We are want new Committee members from Redbourn and Hemel Hempstead in particular.
If you can contribute just a little of your time, contact us to find out more.
Or ring us on 01582 622771
About Friends of the Nickey Line
At a crowded public meeting held on 14th March 2006, local residents of Harpenden, Redbourn and Hemel Hempstead heard Countryside Management Service and local council representatives call for local support and involvement in the future of the Nickey Line.
A steering group of local volunteers and the Countryside Management Service developed a proposal for a new support group ‘Friends of the Nickey Line’ to represent the many users of the Nickey Line throughout its run from Harpenden to Redbourn and Hemel Hempstead and to improve the Line as a local amenity.
‘Friends of the Nickey Line' was officially formed at a public meeting in Harpenden Park Hall on 18 May 2006.
What We Do
- Work with local councils and the Countryside Management Service to maintain and improve the Line and to encourage greater use.
- Have helped to create improved signage and co-produced the latest guide
- Have obtained more dog litter bins to keep the Line clean and attractive to users
- Obtained funding - for example from the Big Lottery Fund for tree work along the Line, a new network of notice boards and even this improved website to publicise the Line!
- Run an active programme of events for members and non - members
- Organise volunteer work parties to maintain the Line and involve both members and non –members in contributing to our local community
- Produce regular newsletters for members – Why not join up to receive these?
Current projects include the creation of Interpretation Boards at points along the Line to provide information to visitors.
Current Committee Members and Their Interests:
Dave Abernethy (Chair)
Dog walking, wildlife, hawking
Mike Platt (Treasurer)
Geoff Bunce (Secretary)
Running, walking, wildlife
Running, wildlife, work parties
|| Work parties, Redbourn
Was created in 2008 at a special low cost for us by Hertfordshire web design and SEO company NCS and funded by the Big Lottery Fund. Our thanks go to both organisations.
It is kept up to date by committee members but we welcome contributions from all Friends and other users of the Nickey Line. Please email your stories, anecdotes, news items and photos to email@example.com.
Also see our 'Vision Statement', Constitution and Membership pages.
Volunteer Work Parties
Why not join on one our work parties to work on the Line?
Have some good healthy exercise and fun too.
Contact us today for more details.
Do You Have Ideas to Offer?
If you have ideas for improvements to the Nickey Line or to our activities, contact us today
Or ring us on 01582 622771
See our past newsletters