We welcome suggestions for activities – let us know your ideas
Not a Member?
No problem – everybody is welcome on our activities – but do check if we have a restriction on numbers and remember to book up
Why not become a Friend?
Volunteer Work Parties
Volunteer Work Parties October - December 2020
Please note these dates and locations for our volunteer work parties between now and Christmas. More details will be loaded nearer the dates, including Covid required measures. These will include booking with the task leader; the current maximum number of volunteers (including the leader) is 6 but we are hoping this can be increased to 10.
Weds. 7th October - hedge and vegetation management near Knott Wood.
Weds. 21st October - vegetation and shrub clearance near Hunters Oak (HH).
Weds 4th November - coppicing below (south) 0f Knott Wood.
Weds 18th Nov - vegetation and shrub clearance near Solway Bridge (HH)
Thurs 26th November - litter picking Hemel Hempstead
Sun. 13th December - taks near Ambrose Lane Bridge (Harpenden).
The meeting time for all tasks will be 10.00 am. They will all be scheduled to finish by 4.00 pm except probably the December task which will probably be scheduled to finish at 1.00 pm.
Work Party alongside Knott Wood, Wednesday 7 October at 10am
We will be holding our first work party in the St Albans DC section of the Nickey Line this Autumn, meeting at the nature information board near Knott Wood
The task will be to reduce the height of the hedgeline in the scallops to open up the views, and possibly some raking of recently cut grass. Wear stout footwear and appropriate clothing. Bring secateurs if you have them
Government rules regarding coronavirus will apply (see below), and currently we are restricted to work parties of 6, including the task leader, although we are seeking approval to raise this to 10. This means we will be asking you to pre-register, with slots going to those who first apply. We will give volunteers who are disappointed preference for future events
To book a place, contact Roger on email@example.com (preferred), or phone 01582 763560
- Those who are critically vulnerable cannot be accepted for now
- 2m minimum social distancing must be practised
- Bring your own gloves/gauntlets
- Hand gel and anti bacerial spray will be brought by the leader, but we encourage you to bring and use your own hand sanitiser
- Tooling will be allocated to you for your sole use where possible, and will be cleaned by the leader at the end of the task. Where tooling is not dedicated to one user, it will be cleaned and sanitised between users
- We are issuing loppers/bow saws to our most regular volunteeers.to take home, sanitise, and bring to the next task they attend
- We are not permitted to provide food and drink, so please bring your own, including packed lunch if staying into the afternoon. We expect to finish by 3pm
Why not come along to one of our working parties and help with the management of the Nickey Line?
If you are interested, contact us with your details and we shall email you with future work parties