Volunteer Work Parties
Litter pick on the Nickey Line in Hemel Hempstead Thursday 9th December
Please note that one has to pre-book to join this event as we want to stay within 6 people on the team. If you are Hemel based we would particularly like to hear from you
Friends of the Nickey Line will be holding a litter pick on the Nickey Line on Thursday 9th December, meeting at Hunters Oak at 9.15am, and walking towards Adeyfield Road. We expect to work for about 2 hours. A no. 46 bus leaves Bridge Street Hemel Hempstead at 8.51am and stops to close to Cherry Tree Lane Bridge
To book a place, please contact Geoff/David by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID - we propose to carry on sensible Covid precautions:
· Individuals currently shielding, considered in ‘at risk’ groups, displaying symptoms (or in contact with those with symptoms) or have been directly advised to self-isolate should not join the litter pick.
· Volunteers are advised to wash hands before and after the event.
· We recommend you bring your own hand sanitiser or anti-bacterial wipes, and that you use them before, during and after the event.
· Volunteers are advised to provide their own gloves for the event. To reduce single use waste consider using working or gardening gloves.
· Volunteers are required to maintain social distancing, particularly at the start and end of the event when equipment is being handed out/collected, as well as during the safety briefing, which should be held outside at all times.
The Friends will give regular picking volunteers a litter picker and bag hoop for them to take home and bring to future events
· Volunteers are encouraged to review the government’s COVID guidance on outdoor activities:
- The Friends will provide litter pickers. litter bags and ring hoops The bags will allow for re-cyclables and general waste to be collected separately. The Friends will also bring hand sanitiser and disinfectant spray for cleaning tools
- Yellow tabards will be supplied
Volunteer Work Party Dates for 2021
We are looking forward to running full work parties again this autumn / winter.
From your feedback about availabilities, the best day for most of our volunteers is Thursday.
Please make a note of these dates and locations:
7th October - Opposite Knott Wood
21st October - Hemel Hempstead, Highfield area
4th November - Redbourn (exact location to be advised)
18th November - Hemel Hempstead, Hunters Oak area
25th November - Litter Pick, Hemel Hempstead POSTPONED
2nd December - Between Knott Wood and Redbourn
Sunday 12th December - Harpenden, Ambrose Lane bridge
We will post further details of each work party nearer the dates.
Please note that for these work parties we would like you to bring your own mid-morning drinks.
Volunteer Work Party 10am Thursday 2 December below Knott Wood, Harpenden
On this work party we will extend the hedge laying below Knott Wood on the west side.
Tooling and safety equipment will be provided, but while covid circu;lates we will not be providing mid morning refreshments, so please bring your own, including a packed lunch if working into the afternoon
Wear stout footwear, as ground uneven and on slopes
Please email Roger on email@example.com if you intend coming
Volunteer Work Party at Harpenden on Sunday 12th December
At this work party we will be removing sycamore and ash self-set saplings and other encroaching vegetation along the section between the bridge over the A1081 and Roundwood Halt, preferably by digging out, so please bring a spade if you can. We will provide other tools, gauntlets and eye protectors.
This will be a morning only work party, 10.00 am until 1.00 pm; meeting at the top of the Park Hill steps at 10.00 am
As it will be close to Christmas, for the mid morning break we will be providing mince pies and mulled wine (please bring your own mugs / glasses).
If you wish to come along please let Geoff know beforehand: email firstname.lastname@example.org or 07903 476584