We welcome suggestions for activities – let us know your ideas
Not a Member?
No problem – everybody is welcome on our activities – but do check if we have a restriction on numbers and remember to book up
Why not become a Friend?
Volunteer Work Party, Wednesday 6 January 2021 below Knott Wood - CANCELLED
The first work party of the New Year will be just below Knott Wood on the Redbourn side. We laid a hedge there nine years ago, although the resulting hedge was very sparse, and it now need tidying up and thickening. A thicker hedge will be good for wildlife, prroviding good habitat for nature. We have successfully applied for free trees from The Conservation Volunteers (their I Dig Tees initiative), while Rothamsted Research have also kindly offered to help with additional hawthorns. We thank them both for their generousity. The work will include cutting and pointing stakes, cutting bindngs, and planting trees, as well as laying what hedge there is ccurrenttly
We plan to work until 3.00 pm, but please just come for as long as you wish. Please read and comply with our coronavirus instructions below.
Government rules regarding coronavirus will apply (see below), and we will be limiting numbers to a maximum of 12. running 2 separated work parties if we exceed 6. This means we will be asking you to pre-register, with slots going to those who apply first. We will give volunteers who are disappointed preference for future events.
To book a place, contact Roger at email@example.com (preferred), or phone 07391640515
- Those who are critically vulnerable cannot be accepted for now
- 2m minimum social distancing must be practised
- Bring your own gloves/gauntlets
- Hand gel and anti bacterial spray will be brought by the leader, but we encourage you to bring and use your own hand sanitiser
- Tooling will be allocated to you for your sole use where possible, and will be cleaned by the leader at the end of the task. Where tooling is not dedicated to one user, it will be cleaned and sanitised between users
- We are issuing loppers/bow saws to our most regular volunteeers to take home, sanitise, and bring to the next task they attend
- We are not permitted to provide food and drink, so please bring your own, including packed lunch if staying into the afternoon.
If you have not volunteered with us previously, please give Roger a ring to find out more. New volunteers are always welcome
Why not come along to one of our working parties and help with the management of the Nickey Line?
If you are interested, contact us with your details and we shall email you with future work parties